Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Frienemies


                Good morning! (Kinda. It’s almost noon, but I’ve been up for awhile.) I’m writing this while waiting for my pictures from last night to upload. Pictures of last cigarettes and of last beers, and of… not running (that third picture was really hard to capture, if you can imagine). So this is day one without beer. As you can imagine, so far it has not been hard. I was never a beer with breakfast kind of girl. The real challenge will come when a friend texts me and asks me to go get dinner or go down town for a bit. While TECHNICALLY I could still drink any hard liquor or wine, I’m not a fan of either and so I’m probably going to just try to NOT drink for the next thirty days. Sobriety FTW.

                There is ONE little kink in that wonderful plan. My roommate is back in Cape for the next two weeks and, seeing as how we’ve never gone out and drank together, we’re long overdue. You might find it odd that two roommates have never drank together, but if you knew us, you’d probably find our whole situation odd. I’m not going to bore you with all the little details, but I am gonna tell you our story, because I think it’s interesting (duh, it is about me) and I think there’s a lesson to be learned from it.

                Roomie and I met through unusual circumstances, and not in the best situation. What little I knew about her came from what other people “knew” about her. When we ran into each other we were always nice to each other, but our situation with “mutual friends” made those meetings pretty awkward. We were what one might call “frienemies.” One day, I ran into her on campus and during the casual, polite conversation that two acquaintances often make, I mentioned that I was looking for a roommate. A few days later she called me and took me up on the offer. I was a bit nervous moving in with a girl I barely knew, but she was outgoing and friendly and soon we were becoming pretty good friends. Fast forward about ten months and I don’t know what I’d do without her. She’s the one who introduced me to Crossfit and pushed me to join, and it’s one of the things we’ve really bonded over. She’s become one of my closest friends, and I realize that if I had stuck with my first judgment of her, I would be missing out on this amazing person in my life. It’s really made me realize that first impressions are NOT always correct, and that you HAVE to give every person a chance to show you who you really are. I still judge people, OH do I judge people… it’s a really terrible habit of mine. But I’ve learned that most of the time, I’m wrong, and I have to deal with that.

                But here I am, going on about my awesome life, and I haven’t told you about Crossfit today. I was really disappointed with my workout this morning; I didn’t push myself near as hard as what I should have. Plus side: Roomie got to come work out with me. But I’m already eager to get back to the gym tomorrow and make up for today. If I can figure out how to upload photos to this blog, I’m going to take a picture of all the food in my apartment that is not Paleo. It’s slowly but surely dwindling, but I still have a lot left. As I run out of non-Paleo food, I’m going to replace the food with veggies and meat and some fruit. The thing that sucks about eating healthy is it’s so damn expensive. And we wonder why America is fat (that is one subject I could stand on a soap box for hours about, but I’ll save that for a later post).

                I’m proud that I actually posted two days in a row, but I realized earlier I need to make a reading list. I’m reading three books at once right now (the Chronicles of Narnia series, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and a book of zombie short stories, The New Dead), but I need to have a wish list. I think I’ll think about it for awhile and then post that list later. For now, I believe I’m going to take my book and go lay by a pool, at least until I have to be at work later.

WTYL,
Rhyen
All the non-Paleo food left in my apartment. Dairy and grain products.

No comments:

Post a Comment