Thursday, June 28, 2012

50 Shades of WTF

Aagghh!! It's been so long since my last post; my goal of posting every day was NOT met. =( ok, so here's a quick update: I've drank beer, so the 30 day thing didn't happen. But, I have cut back... I've had four since the 12th, where as normally I would have had closer to fifty by now. Drinking beer also means I've cheated on the Paleo diet, but for the most part I've stuck to that pretty well too. I had icecream the other day, but a very small amount. Of course, Crossfit is still going well.  I haven't written anything since my last post; I've been busy with I don't even know what. No excuse, but it happens.

Ok, so what I REALLY wanted to post about is what I've been reading: 50 Shades of Grey. I can't decide if I like it or not. First of all, it's pretty poor writing, filled with cliche's and really shitty dialogue. (And it started as Twilight fan fiction. I don't know why I expected better.) Secondly, it's  story bout a woman willingly agreeing to be submissive to a man. This is where I'm torn. On the one hand, I can understand women wanting men that are, well, MEN. Someone who will make decisions and take responsibility, and who want to provide for someone they care about. It's annoying that just because women are stronger and more independent now, men think it's ok to be less than gentlemen. No woman wants to date a pushover. But this book takes it a little far. Grey wants to be completely dominant, even going as far as to not let her look him in the eyes without permission. It worries me that women seem to be so ok with this. I just saw a facebook post that says "For all men who think women don't come with a manual... Found one" with a picture of the book. This book is perfect for girls who dream of rehabilitating the "bad boy" (Grey tells Ana he is "fifty shades of fucked up").  I, however, am not one of those girls. I do not want a fixer-upper. I have enough issues of my own, I don't want to fix anyone else's. The sex in the book is hot, even though we read it through the super awkward lense of a prudish girl. I just don't understand why there needs to be a contract to have kinky sex. Anyways, I still haven't finished the book, so I won't make my final judgment yet. All I'll say so far is I would choose Elliot Grey over Christian in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment